A global biopharmaceutical client needed a better way to process samples and work requests in R&D labs. To better serve its laboratory customers, the research organization wanted to replace their paper request process with an electronic process within their existing LabWare 7 LIMS™.
The R&D group’s goal was to increase customer satisfaction by automating their sample login and work request processes with existing tools and on a small budget.
- Minimal existing requirements documentation: stakeholder interviews and workshops consumed part of the development project’s budget.
- Limited customization budget: because customizing LabWare was cost prohibitive, the team needed to develop a tool outside of the LIMS that could still leverage data in the LabWare database.
CSols’s Role in the Solution
- Gathered requirements from IT, the business, laboratory end users, work requestors, and data consumers
- Configured LabWare 7 LIMS out-of-the-box functionality, leveraging previously unused LabWare capabilities
- Recommended best practice implementation strategies and developed related business processes
- Designed visual workflows to align the various users, systems, and methods
- Developed external tool to interface with LabWare LIMS
- Developed user-friendly, interactive web interface that interacts in real time with LabWare LIMS
- Allowed seamless user authentication to streamline the request process, eliminating needless steps for the end user
- Minimized project and support costs and time by leveraging the client’s existing IT standards: .Net, MVC, C#, and Oracle 11g technologies
- Executed project by following software development best practices including error checking, messaging, and consistent data conventions
- Improved turnaround time with more efficient electronic request processing
- Eliminated hard copies of requests, therefore removing the possibility of losing a paper form
- Improved sample and work tracking via electronic chain-of-custody and a request audit trail
- Increased visibility of laboratory data
- Improved user experience
- Increased value from LabWare 7 LIMS investment by activating previously unused functionality without additional license costs
- Supported long-term IT maintenance and growth with state-of-the-art technologies
- Prepared for future growth by leveraging a solid technology foundation
If you would like to know more about this project or get help with your upcoming project, click here.
Check out more projects that CSols has worked on by clicking here.