A major multinational biotechnology company needed to rapidly expand their development. Inefficient research processes stymied progress through their pipeline. Researchers recorded experiments, analyses, results, and observations in multiple systems before manually combining multiple hard copies into paper laboratory notebooks. These time-consuming administrative tasks distracted scientists and created a significant backlog of experimental write-ups. The backlog hindered collaboration and the ability to leverage past work in current pursuits. The laboratory and management selected BIOVIA ELN to help solve these problems and engaged CSols Inc. to provide ELN business analysis, deployment, and training services.
The primary goal of the project was to implement and deploy a laboratory informatics solution to speed the discovery and development of innovative medicines. Additional objectives included increasing search speed, accessibility of information, collaboration, and the pipeline lifecycle.
- Aggressive rollout timeline: six months for an enterprise BIOVIA ELN implementation in several labs in two countries
- Broad scope: requirements gathering, planning, training and go-live support for 1,500 end users at multiple sites in two countries
- Limited resources: many of the client’s R&D lab SMEs were neither ELN subject matter experts nor 100% dedicated to the project.
CSols’s Role in the Solution
- Business Analyst Services
- Process mapping and requirements development (GxP group)
- Management of ELN defect list and resolution status
- Development and maintenance of the users list and role assignments
- ELN user activation coordination
- Management and resolution of “ELN Inbox” (issues, questions, training requests)
- Documentation Development Services
- Quick reference guides
- Core system use and administration SOPs
- Method conversion and SOP development
- User Engagement / Communication Services
- Status/progress meetings with champions, super-users, lab groups
- Issue documentation and resolution
- Training Services
- Training planning, delivery, and record maintenance
- Client personnel quickly returned to their primary responsibilities while the expert consultant led the project and executed tasks
- Training delivered to ELN users efficiently
- CSols’s document development increased end-user adoption by directly supporting ELN learning initiatives and quickly responding to help requests
- Change management was improved by engaging users, applying proven communication tactics, and quickly resolving end-user issues
- CSols’s implementation of BIOVIA ELN eliminated a year-long work documentation backlog: researchers now document experiments in real-time and inputs can be searched and accessed immediately
If you would like to know more about this project or get help with your upcoming project, click here.
Check out more projects that CSols has worked on by clicking here.